9/23/2016

Strawberry Roll Cake | 草莓瑞士卷



Hi guys. Sorry for being hiatus for such a long time. School had me crazy and I haven't bake for a really looong time, and I do miss it.

A little story to share.

Last year, there was water maintenance from 11am-5pm. So from 11am onwards, there will be no water supplied to my home. Water is precious and I try to reduce the use of it from time to time to save water, but without it, I don't think I can make it alive. I woke up approximately at 10am leaving me to only an hour to get anything related to water done. I prepared lunch, bathe and get ready, filled up 2 bottles (which I regret because I needed more than that), washed the dishes, water the plants and washed some clothes. All within an hour and I felt like so accomplished hahahahah. It was intense and somehow nerve-wrecking because I have to be prepared to face the down side of having no water for the next 6 hours. Just when I thought everything was perfectly okay and I am ready to combat anything that will bring me down, I touched raw egg whites while cooking. I went to the toilet but I can't wash my hands, I drank all the bottled water and it was only 4pm. I feel so unhygienic that day, and I'm cringing right now.

Anyways,
Time check: 6pm (Me: Okay, there shall be water!)
Opens the tap at the bathroom, nothing gushes out.
Opens the tap at the kitchen, nothing. Are you kidding me right now.
Opens the shower knob, nope. No way no way.

    
 (CR: Image:  Tumblr, lifeistooshort-bebrave )

My class starts at 7pm so I went to school in a mess. Luckily, and of course, the school amenities had water coolers. My mom reached home and went through the emotions I faced in the earlier part of the day. Whenever I playback what happened, how I find myself reacting to that day was quite embarrassing and amusing. Yeap. The end.














I've always wanted to give strawberry roll cake a try so that I don't have to rush to the bakery nearby to grab this cake for Sundays. With strawberries in season, the amount of recipe with strawberries are endless. So much so that, strawberry roll cake is so much more worth trying. Made this cake along with Li Xuan and Pei Shan again, whereby baking became bonding sessions. We even cooked dinner and talked through the night and laughed so hard at our embarrassing moments back when we were kids. 9 years have passed but how we felt being an 8 years old, how we questioned the adults, how we cherished every time we got to play, how we studied hard together, how going to the nearby park was such a luxurious thing for us, everything is still a vivid memory. 

This cake was a perfect end for the day, and added just the right amount of sweetness we needed while we recollect on our childhood days. I think its pretty decent to invite your friends along with you to make this cake because it has lots of involvement especially when it comes to cutting the fruits, assembling the cake, whipping up cream. In the end, everyone gets to enjoy the fruits of their labour! 


Ingredients:

4 egg yolks
1 1/2tbsp caster/ ultrafine sugar
3 tbsp milk
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup  all purpose flour
3 tbsp corn starch
4 egg whites
a pinch of salt
3/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
4 1/2 tbsp caster/ ultrafined sugar – sifted

1/2 cup whipping cream (35 – 40% fat)
1 1/2 tbsp caster/ ultrafined sugar – sifted
A handful of strawberries

Directions:

1. Preheat oven at 170°C.
2. Stir egg yolks and add 1 1/2 tbsp caster sugar. Mix till light and fluffy.
3. Add in milk, oil, vanilla, and mix well with yolk-sugar mixture.
4. Sift in cornstarch and flour, mix till smooth.
5. In another bowl, whip egg whites and the remaining sugar (4 1/2 tbsp) till soft peaks form, and gradually holds itself when you lift up the whisks.
6. Fold egg whites into egg yolks and mix till smooth. Batter should not be thin and runny.
7. Pour batter into a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 25-30 mins, until cake turns golden brown.
8. Remove pan from oven and let the cake cool down.
9. For the fillings, whip the whipping cream with the sugar till peaks form. Avoid over-mixing or it will curdle.
10. Cut strawberries into pieces.
11. Once the cake is cooled down, remove from pan and place on parchment paper for rolling later. Spread whipped cream over it. Leave about 2 inches at the 2 edges empty. Put fruits over the cream.
12. Carefully lift one edge first and then fold over to roll. Roll confidently and quickly to prevent breaking the sponge cake.
13. Wrap with cling film in its "sushi" shape and refrigerate for about 3 hours.
14. After 3 hours, remove plastics and paper. Cut and serve!

材料:
4 个蛋黄
1 1/2tbsp 糖
3tbsp 牛奶
3 tbsp 植物油
1/2 tsp 香草精
1/4 cup 面粉
3 tbsp 玉米淀粉
4 个蛋白
少许盐
3/8 tsp 塔塔粉
4 1/2 tbsp 糖 (过筛)
1/2 cup 鲜奶油
1 1/2 tbsp 糖 (过筛)
适量 草莓

作法:
1. 将烘炉预热于170°C。
2. 将蛋黄和1 1/2 tbsp 糖搅拌至蓬松。
3. 然后,把牛奶,油,与香草精搅拌进蛋黄。
4. 将玉米淀粉与面粉一起过筛,然后倒进蛋黄。搅拌成均匀。
5. 在另外一个碗里,将蛋白与4 1/2 tbsp 糖搅成软峰形式,拿起烘烤扫时,蛋白不会掉下来。
6. 将蛋白轻轻的搅拌进蛋黄,搅拌均匀。面糊不应该薄也不是水水的。
7. 将面糊倒入蛋糕模,烘烤大概25-30分钟直到蛋糕呈现金黄色。
8. 把蛋糕取出,让蛋糕冷却
9. 将鲜奶油与糖来打发变成奶油霜。
10. 切草莓成小片。
11. 蛋糕冷却后,把蛋糕放在烘焙纸上。在蛋糕上涂抹奶油霜,在最远的两旁留两寸。将水果撒上。
12. 小心提起蛋糕的一边, 然后开始卷。带有自信卷因为这样卷的时候,比较快也就不会让蛋糕裂成两半。
13. 将蛋糕像寿司一样包住,放在冰箱3hr。
14. 3hour 过后,取出,切成厚片,enjoy!




其实我从一开始就很想尝试做草莓瑞士卷,但就是不太敢下手。终觉得很困难,觉得是个遥不可及的日常甜点,害怕会毁了完成作品。既然现在是草莓的季节,而且有各种各样的草莓烘培料, 这就更不能错过了。在草莓最香甜的时候烘培,还真是人生享受。又与佩珊和俐璇一起烘培,这已逐渐变成了我们每一次相聚都会期待的原因。过后, 我们不但在佩珊的小厨房里一起做了晚餐,还继续做豆花塔。虽然已夜深人静,但我们的笑声填补了晚上的宁静。每当想起我们还小时所做过的蠢事,一定会让我们笑破肚皮。我们一起经历过的一切,还历历在目 — 我们8岁时的想法,我们一起向大人的疑问, 一起珍惜能够玩耍的时间,一起用功读书,能够到公园玩耍是一种奢侈。

这蛋糕超适合作为一天的完美结尾。邀请朋友一起做这蛋糕就不应该错过了,因为不只需要切水果,还得搅拌与组织。到最后,大家都能尝到所付出的成果。草莓与奶油搭配真的草好吃的!!



0 comments: